Wednesday, March 16, 2011

Music speaks

There is a fairly common expression about music speaking that says "Where words fail music speaks." That is such a true statement. Think about it, how often is a song used to express a feeling.
Another music quote that I love is " Music speaks what can not be expressed, soothes the mind and gives it rest,
heals the heart and makes it whole, flows from heaven to the soul." How so true that quote is. We turn to music to soothe us when we hurt, we use music when we celebrate. Music is such a integrated part of our lives. Think about all the places where you hear music, some of them you probably don't even realize it-- stores, restaurants, elevators. It is all use to set a mood. Listen to the music that is played at a grocery store. If you go during the day when most stay at home mom's shop you will find music played that is more soft pop/rock about love and family. Go in on a weekend the music is more upbeat. (I worked in a grocery store for many years!) Why do they change the type of music, to put you in a certain mood!!
How often have you watched a movie and don't even realize the background music. I know I have but if it wasn't there the movie wouldn't have the same feeling. The movie music matches the mood on the screen and helps give us that emotional response to what is happening.
Music fascinates me! I guess that's why I got my degree in it.  I am fascinated by the emotional connection we feel to it. How it effects us. A lot of studies have been done on classical music with young children and increasing intelligence. I know from experience certain classical music has a calming effect on children and adults. When I taught school and I had a unruly class, I would put on classical music and it would calm them.
In the Bible, King Saul, when he was troubled with an evil spirit found peace when David would play music on his harp. (I Samuel 16: 16-23) How often when I am troubled, sad or broken hearted do I turn to music to soothe me or maybe I am just the only one that does that.
There is a lot of different types of music in the world and we all have our likes and dislikes. Try attacking someones favorite style of music and watch them get emotional defending it! I have seen that happen in debates over music and it fascinates me. I did a whole study of music in the Bible and I think I know why music is such a part of us. Maybe some day I will share my ideas on it. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment