Monday, April 25, 2011

Hunger

I was listening to a radio broadcast from Chuck Swindoll and he said something that really struck a chord with me.
I have often prayed before, Lord give me a hunger for you. Give me a hunger for your word. Even though I try to read my Bible and have a consistent prayer life. I just always have this deep desire to be hungrier for Him that I am not as hungry as I should be that I should want more of Him.

Chuck Swindoll was talking about hunger for God. He said when we have a physical hunger we go and eat to satisfy the hunger. Once we are done eating the hunger is fulfilled and satisfied until what we have eaten has passed through us and our stomach is empty again. A hunger  for God doesn't work in the same way a physical hunger works. We think that we will feel a hunger for God like we feel hunger for eating. Swindoll said a hunger for things of God is not satisfied, it will only grow the more we read His word and pray. The closer we get to God the more hungrier we become. We will never reach a full feeling that in fact the opposite is true, the more you pray and read His word the more you want to do those things. When he said that something just click in my spirit.  Here I was looking for this physical hunger type pains but instead I am hungry for God because I keep wanting more and more of Him. When we are truly hungry for the things of God, we are always in search for more of Him, the hungrier pains never dim they should only grow.
I believe as a christian we should always be wanting a move of God in our lives. We should want to see God move in our churches and in our families. We should never be satisfied when we feel we have reached a certain level. So many, I think, come to know Jesus and never start the hunger process for more of Him. There prayer life and Bible reading is at a stand still and therefore their hunger pains feel satisfied cause they aren't seeking a closer walk with God. Let me tell you, the closer you are to God the sweeter it is!! I have such a hunger to see more of Him, to see Him do things in my life, to be so close to God to hear His whisper. I want Him to use me, to grow my ministries that I am involved in, to use my talents for God.

I know most are probably tired of me quoting songs but I just can't help it. Music is in my blood! So many songs just speak what I am trying to say. Many minister to me so much that I can't help but share them.  The chorus of this song says it all for me. I want to get so close to Him that on the day he calls me home its no big change. What does that mean? It means that I am so close to God that the transition to heaven seems like being here. That I have been so in tuned to God here on earth that being in His presence in heaven is no shock to my system.

One Day Jesus Will Call My Name
Verse 1
Some days drag and some days fly
And some days I think of the day I’ll die
Some days fill me and some days drain
And one day Jesus will call my name

Chorus
One day Jesus will call my name
As days go by, ‘hope I don’t stay the same.
I wanna get so close to Him that it’s no big change,
On that day that Jesus calls my name!

Verse 2
Most days I pray, but some days I curse.
A said number of days I put myself first.
But it’s not what I do, the cross made that plain.
And one day Jesus will call my name!

Chorus
One day Jesus will call my name
As days go by, ‘hope I don’t stay the same.
I wanna get so close to Him that it’s no big change,
On that day that Jesus calls my name!

One day Jesus will call my name
As days go by, ‘hope I don’t stay the same.
I wanna get so close to Him that it’s no big change,
On that day that Jesus calls my name!

One day Jesus will call my name
As days go by, ‘hope I don’t stay the same.
I wanna get so close to Him that it’s no big change,
On that day that Jesus calls my name!

1 comment: